Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The New PC

Well, I built my last PC in December of 2004, so it was more than time for a new one. I decided it was time after I read an article about the 45nm Intel Wolfdale: http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/13/wolfdale_shrinks_transistors/

After I read this, I knew it was time to move on. Here is what I ended up with:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
(2) 2GB Kits of Crucial PC2-8500 1066mhz DDR2
Antec P182 Case
A 550W Corsair PSU
MSI Nvidia 8800GT
WD 500gb Sata HDD
Ninja mini CPU Heatsink/fan

I even went out and got a Samsung 245BW to replace my old NEC 19".


Yes, I spent a bit, but I have a nice setup now. It was not without heartache and sacrifice though. I did have to RMA my motherboard and it wasn't until my second that I realized I would have to deal with a limitation. The motherboard does not support my RAM in the first memory bank unless it is running under 1066Mhz. I don't know if I should blame Crucial or Gigabyte here, so I won't pass judgement. I'm still running ok. I ended up losing 66mhz on the ram, but I added 600mhz on the CPU and I got the FSB up from 1333 to 1600mhz and it runs stable.





2 comments:

Ahren said...

So... I would blame gigabyte! Get a new motherboard! :) That's what Ethan and I would do...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.